Monday, April 16, 2012

When I am a Mama

       Running the risk of later contradicting myself, I've decided to write out a list of my goals for motherhood. I'm sure some mothers may scoff at some of my high desires, or go "yeah right" but these are things I truly want for my relationship and character training of my child...and like they say, "aim for the stars, you might just hit the moon." Or is it the other way around...

When I am a Mama:

I will not safe proof every move my child makes. If they do not stop an action because I tell them they will probably bump their head, I will let them bump their head rather than scooping them up in my arms away from danger. Painful mistakes are far better teachers than cushy warnings.

My child will know which items they may or may not touch and play with, and they will act accordingly. My mom seemed to do it fine, she had crystal figurines on bottom shelves when I was three years old for goodness sakes...I didn't dare go near them. 

I don't want my kiddo to call me "mommy". When I was a kid, I didn't like it when other kids called their moms "mommy," I am not sure why, but to this day I don't like the name.

I will train my child not to interrupt adults while they are talking. If they want something, they may touch my arm and wait patiently for a break in conversation. This is not to say I'll not include my child in adult conversations, they may sit and listen and add to plenty of conversations, especially with friends and family, but they must learn soon that they are not the most important person in the room in order to do so. 

I will strive to include my child in the things I enjoy doing--with regards to safety. I will not send my child to their room to play alone if they want to be around me as long as they behave respectfully.  

I will give my child every opportunity to form their own interests and passions, and let them try anything they want to do at least once. 

I don't have a television, so I will give my child plenty of interactive activities to keep them stimulated and entertained.

I will not allow my child to want me more than they want Mars, he will be as involved with them as I am, and  not just for play time, for bathing, dressing, feeding, teaching, and discipline. 

I will not allow my child to chose their own food for at least the first five years of life. If they do not eat something I give them, there will not be a substitute. I will be very picky about their food for them, if I won't eat over processed franken-food, why should I let it into their ever growing bodies?

Children equate love with time so I'll make sure to give them plenty. 

I will read sophisticated novels to them aloud at a young age and teach them word comprehension as soon as they begin speaking. I will assume that my child has the potential to be smarter than me and will in time pick up anything I communicate to them. 

I will give them patience. If they do not follow my rules and wants I will remain calm and steady in my teaching until they do. If I blow up at them, I will not blame them...because they are children and I am an adult. 

I will be strict in my ideology but not so much in my manner. My child will think of my face as a kind and smiling one, and when they think of me they will think of the fun and interesting things I've done with them. 

I will let my child get dirty.

I won't censor the world for my child. If they come across death and sex and injustice by means of the media, I'll explain it to them. That being said, I'll not intentionally introduce it. 

I will read, and they will leave me alone while I do so. I'm not sure how I'll get this accomplished, but it will happen. 

I will answer all questions my child has for me with honesty. 

I will not be my child's slave...they will learn to pick up after themselves as soon as they have the motor skills to do so. It will simply be a part of play and a part of meal time.

I will punish my child unusually for minor offenses, so they grow up to be quirky. I.E. I'll make them listen to an audio-tape of a trigonometry lecture for half an hour, or they'll have to collect 100 blades of grass in a glass, or I'll dye all their socks their least favorite color.

I'll allow cushion area in my future plans for my child, and let my child teach me the best way to raise them as only they can. 

I'll be quick to forgive and make sure humor is the largest facet of my interactions with my child.






5 comments:

  1. I agree with this whole post. :)

    The craft show will actually be in Mineral Wells - about an hourish from Dallas. I say "Dallas" because I will be staying with my family there. I kind of lump it all together. Oops. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In that case, I think I'll just check out your etsy shop, but gooood luck with the show!

      Delete
    2. Thank you! Also - YAY for close babies! When is your due date? I haven't met anyone else that is close to us, everyone seems to be months ahead.

      Delete
    3. Right, it's a little like being the youngest person in class or something! Mine is due the 12th of October.

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed reading this, especially the one about growing up quirky.

    ReplyDelete